August 12, 2018
History of Huntington Township Essays
Winner: Clayton Lamb
Diana Griggs Rowan
A small group met in Ward Hall (part of today's United Church of Huntington) in 1976 to discuss how to preserve the history of Huntington Township. Soon they were meeting in the Township office and thanks to some longtime residents, information and artifacts began to accumulate. The Township had just purchased the old brick school house in 1976 from the newly formed Black River School District and the Trustees graciously gave the third floor to be used as a museum. Many hours went into cataloging and organizing the displays.
The museum is opened to the public on Memorial Day Sunday following the Township parade and by contacting any member to schedule a visit. Though membership of the society is small they have done some large projects. With the help of a grant they have placed a historical marker on the front lawn of the Township Center. One side honors Myron T. Herrick who lived here until the age of 12. He was Governor of Ohio and twice the Ambassador to France. The plaque also notes the location of the first cheese house started by C. W. and J. C. Horr. It also mentions Ansel Clark, a devoted abolitionist.
A project for the Huntington Historical Society was to return a one room school house to the center of town from which it was moved in 1911. The project cost over $35,000 with many donated hours. It is hoped that today’s teachers will bring their class for a one day experience to learn how their ancestors were taught. The Society's motto is... "Today’s events are tomorrow’s history". The one room schoolhouse was built soon after the end of the Civil War and housed the Township Center School until 1911 when the Township's seven one-room elementary schools were consolidated. Desks contain copies of McGuffey's Second Reader and Ray's New Intellectual Arithmetic.
The Society is currently working to restore the Township's Adam's leaning wheel pull behind road grader. The Grader was used by the Township in the early 1900's and pulled by a Tractor. The restored road grader will be displayed in front of the one room school house. Anyone with information on the use of the grader in the Township is encouraged to attend the Historical Society Meeting to share!
From Thursday, October 15, 1955 Wellington Enterprise
John Sage, the pioneer of Huntington twp selected lands in the southwest quarter. In 1818 he induced several families to emigrate from their old homes in the east, with a view to cultivating for themselves farms in the wilderness of the Western Reserve.
President: Ernie Hartman
Vice President: Frances Rollin
Treasurer: Mary Ann Hartman